GM People & Safety
- Broad HR role with senior leadership responsibility
- Embedding a safety culture
- Nelson, New Zealand
Port Nelson is the maritime gateway for Te Tauihu, the Nelson Marlborough region; a vital hub for economic activity and a key stakeholder in the region’s continued growth and prosperity. For over 170 years, Port Nelson has provided its customers and community with solutions-focused, world-class and customer-orientated services. Our purpose is to facilitate regional prosperity. The Port has five key stakeholders; our customers, our environment, our people, our community and our shareholders.
Jointly owned by the Nelson City Council and the Tasman District Council, Port Nelson employs approximately 300 staff and has a strong client base with key exports of logs, timber, apples, seafood, kiwi fruit and wine from around the region. It is the largest seafood processing port in Australasia and provides a vital link in the region’s wine industry supply chain.
Reporting to the CEO and a key member of the senior leadership team, the GM People & Safety will provide strategic leadership to human resources, employee relations, wellbeing and safety practices. Leading a team of nine, a priority for the role is the development and implementation of strategic HR policies and practices to ensure optimal organisational development, performance and capability to enable the Port to continue to benefit the economic success of the region.
The GM People & Safety will build effective HR partnering relationships across the Port and will actively contribute to wider strategic and business planning. Embedding a safety culture at the Port and ensuring safety becomes ‘business as usual’ is a key factor for our team to go home safely.
Applicants will demonstrate the following:
- Proven senior level broad HR experience within a complex, fast paced, high risk industry setting.
- A collaborative partnering approach to building organisational capability and culture.
- Indepth knowledge of employment law, safety and risk management, and industrial relations.
- Experience leading collective bargaining and building effective relationships with Unions.
- A reputation for innovative thinking and delivery, team work and leadership.
- Proven ability to develop and implement initiatives to contribute to overall business performance.
- Excellent judgement, communication and relationship skills.
- The Port has a policy in place that requires all new employees to be, and remain, fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
This role will appeal to a progressive and experienced human resources professional who is inspired by the prospect of adding value to a successful and iconic New Zealand Port whilst enjoying the lifestyle offering of the Nelson region.
|Visit the Port Nelson website|
|Download the Position Description|
|Register Interest Online for this Position|
|Email the EQI Global Consultant|
|Phone the EQI Global Consultant|
Confidential enquiries can be made to Graham Ewing or Lynell Bell of EQI Global on +64 3 377 7793 or email at email@example.com.
Applications for this role should include a cover letter and resume. All applications will be acknowledged via email.
Closing date for applications is Friday 28 January 2022.
All applications will be acknowledged via email from 10 January onwards.
Note: you must be, and remain, fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work for this employer.